Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Eek! OK, OK, not Ron Paul

Wow, have I got me an education!

In my last post, I asked "why not Ron Paul?" as I didn't see anything outstandingly bad in his political record nor his website.

A fellow blogger pointed out that Paul is a racist and anti Semite among other idiocies.

I Googled these and found a lot not to like about Dr. Paul.

Most of what I found regarding his racism was a bit shaky. His detractors seemed to fixate on some newsletters that he may or may not have written during the 80's and 90's. I found most of the quotes to be accurate, though harshly worded, and some to indicate a racist attitude. But again, I can't be sure they were exactly his words, and he did take responsibility for them long ago and, really, let's move on (if you can forgive Senator Byrd, you can damnwell forgive Paul).

But then I found more on his opinions of Israel and Islam, and I found that very troubling. I found more about his endorsement by white supremacists, and his refusal to distance himself from them, indeed his possible support of them.

I could put in a whole bunch of links to articles and other blogs here, but I found this one page that pulled it all together and laid it all out so well that any other link is unnecessary:

American Thinker on Ron Paul


I cannot believe that a rational person could read that article and follow up on the references and still consider voting for Ron Paul.

I am putting a link to the blog of my friend that pointed out Paul's flaws to me, I am forever in your debt:

http://coyotesqrl.blogspot.com/

Thank you for setting me straight. At least as regards Ron Paul!

1 comment:

R.A. Porter said...

I've found that there aren't too many rational people supporting Paul, at least not ones who've actually done any research, as you have. Just a lot of ill-informed, ignorant kids and scary, scary adults.

Still? He's been competitive with Rudy G. That's an interesting statement on the power of those scary Paul supporters and the weakness of Rudy's campaign.