Saturday, June 27, 2009

4 Favorite Harleys

I've made fun of Harley Davidson (AKA Hardly Ableson, or Hardly Riddenson) quite a few times. But there are some models of Harley that I just love and would immediately buy if I won a lottery.

First up is the very first Super Glide.

1971 Super Glide

Unlike most people, I love the fiberglass boat tail back fender.
I first saw one of these in a Hot Rod magazine ad when I was in elementary school. It was one of the most beautiful things I had ever seen and remains so to this day.
I would leave it absolutely stock except to modernize the engine internals, such as hardened valve guides.

Next is a 1986 FXRD, the only year they made them.

FXRD

I had an 89 FXRT, which is a slightly stripped down version of the same bike, having just the fairing and saddlebags. I added everything you see on the FXRD except the floorboards and I was going to get to those when I had to sell it (layoffs, kids, minivans...). These are, to my mind, the most functional HD's ever made, but they "Duh-uh, didn't look like a Harley" so they didn't sell.

Third we have the 1973 Sportster. Same as the 72, but with a front disk brake.

You Tube 73 Sporty

I had a 72 with an updated front brake. Oil leaking, vibrated like a paint shaker, unreliable, handled badly. But man she was sexy and just a hoot to ride.

And last, but not least, the XLCR.

XLCR Cafe

Again, "Duh-uh, didn't look like a Harley" and so a functional bike didn't sell.

There you go. Four Harleys that I would love to have in my stable (if I had a stable).
Just to bop around on short trips and to stare at.

Touring? Nope, I'd get a Victory Vision

Daily ride? Nope, I like my 82 Honda Magna for that.

Now I know there are many other very good Harleys, but overall, these are the only ones that truly interest me. Of course, I need to be realistic, none of the four are easy or cheap to come by. If I ever do get another HD, it will likely be a late model 883 Sportster which is OK really. After all, I was thinking about getting one as a first bike for my oldest daughter. That plan has changed, more about that later.

No comments: