Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Anime is the Best

As mentioned in my profile, one of my favorite things in this old world is Anime. Actually "one of my favorite things" is a gross understatement. I freakin' love Anime. I'm addicted to it. In fact I have not yet seen a live action movie or TV show that I enjoy as much as Anime (not all Anime, just ones I consider "top tier"), though Babylon 5, the original Vanishing Point movie, the Predator movies, and pretty much anything with dragons in it come pretty close.

As my list of preferred live action shows indicates, I like action, fantasy and sci-fi.
However, in case you weren't aware, Anime covers other genres as well.

I buy most of my Anime and related stuff from these good folks:

Right Stuf

Good prices and truly excellent customer service, at least the very few times I've needed service.

For a great Anime forum, news and magazine (Protoculture Addicts), look no further:

Anime News Network

I haven't been active on their forum for years, and I really miss it.

Here and there, I may do an occasional review of some Anime, though the reviews found on the Anime News Network are generally far better than anything I could do. Who knows though, perhaps I'll have a different view.

For some good info, especially parent reviews, this next site is good. The reviews haven't been updated since 2004. Actually nothing much at all has happened here since 04, except the forum, which I haven't yet visited. But it's a nice site with no advertising. I do highly recommend it:

Anime Cafe

Here's some other reviews, much more up to date, though I haven't poked around the rest of the site:

THEM Anime

Of course, there are better sites for reviews, news, forums and shopping. There always are with everything it seems. But I haven't found them yet.

A little not so quick background. I started watching Anime as a kid in the 60's, with Astro Boy, Kimba the white lion (which Disney's The Lion King is a slight rip off of), Speed Racer (yes, as a matter of fact, I AM going to see the movie), etc. At the time, I had no idea they were Japanese.
The show 8th Man introduced me to death. No seriously, I have no memory of anyone or anything, such as a relative, neighbor or pet, dying prior to that show. In one episode, a very likable protagonist (cute little talking porpoise) got killed by the bad guy, which never happened in American cartoons in those days. I was flipped out, crying and asking "why?" Later, when a neighbor's dog got run over, I remember looking at the poor little carcass and thinking "so this is what it's like in real life." I won't say that it helped or hurt me to see it, but I can tell you that I sure remember it.

Wow, looking up long unvisited sites and writing about this subject makes me really want to do it more. I miss the forums too. So, here and there, I'll write some little odd or end about Anime, I'll even start a new Label for it.

No comments: