Monday, July 13, 2009

The Goode Family is Great!

I am NOT a TV reviewer or critic, and outside of Anime, I don't intend to be.
But this show is just so good that I have to write a little about it. I'm not going to go into detail, just a few paragraphs. I also don't intend to give anything important away, no spoilers.

This is an animated series from the same guy that brought us King of the Hill and Beavis & Butthead.
It's about an incredibly liberal family (the Goode family), and their friends, enemies, and neighbors.

The show does make fun of libs, as you no doubt suspect, but it also pokes fun at Conservatives, sometimes with more teeth. So if you're a liberal yourself, please don't stay away from this show, and if you're a Conservative, don't think it's all gonna be your way.

The Goode family consists of dad, mom, biological daughter, adopted son (a white South African they adopted as an infant and named Ubuntu), and their dog Che.

Here's an example of poking fun at libs:
They are vegans, to the point of not feeding Che meat or meat products! They feed him Soy biscuits and meatless dog food. Naturally, Che is in a constant state of near starvation and craving meat, but they don't notice.
In one episode, mom buys a new bag of dog food, puts the dog food dish on the kitchen table, and is pouring it into the dish. The dog smells it and bounds into the kitchen, slobbering, almost ready to pounce on the dish. Mom is just moving to set the dish on the floor and the dog is ecstatic, when mom sees the "now made with meat" sign on the package. She gasps and immediately withdraws the dish. The dog is crushed, he is starving for that meat. He is so upset he just stands there shaking. The children come in and when mom explains that Che almost ate meat they exclaim "look, he's shaking with fear over what he almost did!"
Don't worry about Che, he gets a real meal now and then. And the ways he does it is one of the recurring side bits and occasionally part of the main plot of several episodes.

Unfortunately, I can't give you any decent examples of making fun of Conservatives without delivering a spoiler. Suffice it to say that Conservatives often come out very creepy, very often. As much as I like to make fun of libs, I have to admit that I laugh just as hard at his treatment of "my side."

I never thought it could happen, but I find myself pulling for these ultra liberals, and liking them a lot. When they go up against some big ol' BBQ sauce dripping, meat eating, Limbaugh loving Conservative type, I find myself rooting for them. This is the exact opposite of my attitude outside of the show.
Hmmmmmmm, intent?

The Goode Family is a very fun, likable show. It skewers both sides, but at the same time shows compassion and even admiration for many.

If anything in this show offends you, then you should perhaps take a long look at yourself, as you aren't as great as you think you are.


ABC, The Goode Family

Hey, I just noticed that the Google spell checker capitalizes Conservative, but not liberal. What does THAT tell you?

No comments: