Tuesday, January 20, 2009

I Now Empathize With You‏

One of my very good friends is either agnostic or atheist, I'm not really sure which. He and I have gotten into some heated arguments about religion, primarily when used by govt agencies, such as "under God" in the pledge or prayers at games and such.
I am not a very religious person, but I always felt that since we are a nation founded by Christians with many of its social and judicial concepts, those who don't believe should simply deal with it.

Well, I've changed my mind. I sent the following message to my friend in an email (I have removed one extreme cuss word, as this is a family joint).


This will sound like a joke, but it's not, I am completely serious.

I have always tried half heartedly to sympathize with atheists, without much success. It seemed like "much ado about nothing."

But now, I feel that Obama is being treated like a deity or messiah and I'm ready to just throw up. I am trying to avoid all media, such as radio and TV just to not have to hear the fawning.
He is not messiah, he is not a deity, he is a very eloquent politician, no more. So it bugs the crap out of me all these Obots elevating him to an exalted position. I most certainly do not feel a tingle run down my leg.

It has occured to me that atheists must feel very much the same way about Jesus, Mohamed, and whoever else. Now I really understand just how sickening it is to listen to people exalt a mortal or some probably non existent entity.

I am done arguing about it. Atheists have rights too, they shouldn't have to be subjected to a constant God barage.

I am sorry for arguing with you and I now understand the anger and frustration of all these people bringing lawsuits against schools and other gov't agencies. I guess you just can't ever understand someone until you've walked in their shoes as the old saying goes.


So The One has had a profound effect on me already. Through his followers in the media, he has made me sympathetic and maybe even supportive of activist atheists.

Quite an accomplishment.

No comments: