Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Pellet Stove Revisited

I railed on about the worthlessness of our pellet stove a few months ago:

Pellet Stoves Worth It?

Well had the service guy come out and clean it up and check it out last weekend, and he informed me that I didn't have the air damper opened up enough.

He fired it up and showed me how the flame was supposed to look. Damn, no fire, just some blue glow from the pellets and they were jumping around a little bit from the wind blowing through!
Now I had been warned that too much air would blow out the flame, so I was trying to be careful. A little too careful it seems.

Also, we apparently bought a crappy stove. It's a Breckwell Big E utility furnace, and he told me that none of the service guys like them, they just don't heat as well as other Breckwells. Well, it was about $1500 as opposed to $3000 for a "good" one. What a freakin' ripoff these things are.

Oh, and I'm not going to run that other outside vent as I had originally planned.

Well, crappy stove or not, now that I suspect it was mostly my fault, let's see what this winter brings.

No comments: