Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Random Election Day Ramblings

I'll be voting on my way home from work, too lazy to get up extra early this morning.
It'll be Romney for me.

Talking to my wife this morning (a rare morning event), we commented on the historical significance of the potential for the first black or woman president. Then, on my way into work, I heard the same comment, plus potentially the first Mormon president. What I found amusing is that I never even considered that! I knew Romney's Mormon, and I knew there was some asinine discussion about it on the airwaves, but it never occurred to me to care, simply not on my radar.
The amusing part is that I am just the sort of person who should stereotypically think about it. I'm fairly conservative, and though not religious myself, I have no problem with the Christian faith entering politics a wee bit. Yet his particular faith does not matter to me.

If McCain gets the nomination, I will vote for the Libertarian, unless Obama gets the Dem nod, then I may just vote for him. Can't vote for Hillary like Ann Coulter says she would. If Ron Paul gets the Libertarian nomination, and McCain & Clinton the others, then I may just damnwell not vote at all.

Sadly, McCain is the best of all possible contenders as regards the Iraq war. Romney would be best for the budget. That is of course supposing that they'd get some cooperation from Congress and that's an open question.

I think overall that McCain would cooperate quite well with the Dems, basically because he's one himself, though he calls himself a Republican for some odd reason.
Romney was governor of a very liberal state, and he is quite moderate, so he will probably compromise a bit, which may or may not be good. I doubt we'll find out.

I expect to add more crap to this post or a new one as the day goes on.

No comments: