Wednesday, November 7, 2007

Deer vs Van, Both Die

But the van can be resurrected.

Nobody hurt, thankfully it wasn't a very large deer. Had spouse and both offspring with me. Happened early last Sunday morning on the way to my little one's Cheer competition (won the state championship in their division, tough little kid she is).

The van is our 06 Honda Odyssey. I was mildly surprised at how little damage was done. Hell the airbags didn't even deploy, which is a good thing since that would have put me and probably my wife into the hospital (freaking useless shit those front airbags are).

Leaking anti-freeze, hood dented and won't open, driver's side fender pushed back, and the bumper, grill, headlight cover and trim all cracked. Drove it home, as it happened very close, and did not notice any driveability problems.

It's in the body shop now, a little over $3,000 damage, which is about the cost of a headlight and some fuzzy dice these days. Thankful for the $500 deductible. Or was that $1,000, not sure.

I'll ask for details at the body shop this afternoon maybe.

This is the first time I have hit a deer! My wife hit one with this same van earlier this year, but it was a fawn and she was driving slow so nothing but a scratch on both.

I'm getting sick of these damned long legged rats. If I had money, I'd buy a Nissan Armada (my favorite SUV) and put a Buckstop on it http://www.buckstop.biz/nissan_classic.html

Smack that rat and just keep going. Not even spill my coffee. Not even slow down.

3 comments:

R.A. Porter said...

Glad to hear everyone's okay (except Bambi.) I hope *someone* took that deer off for a proper burial.

By that, of course, I mean turned it into some steaks and some stew and buried it in a septic tank.

Did you haul it off, or did someone else get the meat profits of your collision?

2old4this said...

Sadly, I gave it an almost full body slam, rendering it useless for chow.

I have no idea where bigger than a breadbox roadkill gets hauled off to.

Anonymous said...

Hate to say it- but Bambi is still out there. A backhoe came and pushed her over to the side of the road, and she has a bright orange bracelet from the police, but she is stil out there. :(
The guy from Enterprise said we were about the 10th person in about 2 weeks coming in to rent a car bc of deer attacks.
man- when someone says "it came out of no where" they aren't kidding!